There's actually an umbrella JIRA to track issues with JDK8
(HADOOP-11090), in case anyone missed it.

At LinkedIn we've been running our Hadoop 2.3 deployment on JDK8 for
about a month now with some mixed results.  It definitely works but
there are issues, mostly around virtual memory exploding.  The reason
we took the jump early is there is a company wide push to move to JDK8
ASAP, I suspect this isn't something unique to LinkedIn.   To get this
to work with security enabled, we've had to apply patches not even in
trunk yet because they break JDK6 compatibility.

>From my perspective, based on what I've seen and people I've talked
to, there is a huge push to move to JDK8 ASAP so it's becoming
increasingly urgent to at least get support to run on JDK8.