The main JIRA dashboard for each project has an Issues tab with useful
summary statistics and links to filtered queries, most notably links to
unresolved issues grouped by each project sub-component.

https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/HADOOP/?selectedTab=com.atlassian.jir
a.jira-projects-plugin:issues-panel

https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/HDFS/?selectedTab=com.atlassian.jira.
jira-projects-plugin:issues-panel

https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/MAPREDUCE/?selectedTab=com.atlassian.
jira.jira-projects-plugin:issues-panel

https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/YARN/?selectedTab=com.atlassian.jira.
jira-projects-plugin:issues-panel

I can see that many of these represent a much smaller, more manageable
work queue than trying to sift through all patch available, or worse yet,
all unresolved.  For example, here are the results for Hadoop Common
native, HDFS snapshots, MapReduce Job History Server, and YARN Capacity
Scheduler.

https://issues.apache.org/jira/issues/?jql=project%20%3D%20HADOOP%20AND%20r
esolution%20%3D%20Unresolved%20AND%20component%20%3D%20native%20ORDER%20BY%
20priority%20DESC

https://issues.apache.org/jira/issues/?jql=project%20%3D%20HDFS%20AND%20res
olution%20%3D%20Unresolved%20AND%20component%20%3D%20snapshots%20ORDER%20BY
%20priority%20DESC

https://issues.apache.org/jira/issues/?jql=project%20%3D%20MAPREDUCE%20AND%
20resolution%20%3D%20Unresolved%20AND%20component%20%3D%20jobhistoryserver%
20ORDER%20BY%20priority%20DESC

https://issues.apache.org/jira/issues/?jql=project%20%3D%20YARN%20AND%20res
olution%20%3D%20Unresolved%20AND%20component%20%3D%20capacityscheduler%20OR
DER%20BY%20priority%20DESC

Suppose we ask for committers to act in the Patch Manager role associated
with these per-component queries as their work queues.  If people are
working in an area of expertise, then they'll likely process the queue
efficiently.  If people want to stretch into an area of code where they
are less familiar, then volunteering as Patch Manager could be a way to
ramp up.

The success of this approach would depend on the quality of our JIRA
metadata.  We¹d need to be diligent about assigning each issue to its
correct component.  We may also find a need to restructure the component
breakdown over time.  Right now, it tends to mirror our Java package
structure pretty closely, but something like ³namenode" is quite broad as
a patch queue.

Thoughts?

Chris Nauroth
Hortonworks