On Fri, Mar 6, 2015 at 4:32 PM, Vinod Kumar Vavilapalli
<vino...@hortonworks.com> wrote:
> I'd encourage everyone to post their wish list on the Roadmap wiki that
> *warrants* making incompatible changes forcing us to go 3.x.

This is a useful exercise, but not a prerequisite to releasing 3.0.0
as an alpha off of trunk, right? Andrew summarized the operating
assumptions for anyone working on it: rolling upgrades still work,
wire compat is preserved, breaking changes may get rolled back when
branch-3 is in beta (so be very conservative, notify others loudly).
This applies to branches merged to trunk, also.

> +1 to Jason's comments on general. We can keep rolling alphas that downstream
> can pick up, but I'd also like us to clarify the exit criterion for a GA
> release of 3.0 and its relation to the life of 2.x if we are going this
> route. This brings us back to the roadmap discussion, and a collective
> agreement about a logical step at a future point in time where we say we have
> enough incompatible features in 3.x that we can stop putting more of them and
> start stabilizing it.

We'll have this discussion again. We don't need to reach consensus on
the roadmap, just that each artifact reflects the output of the
project.

> Irrespective of that, here is my proposal in the interim:
>  - Run JDK7 + JDK8 first in a compatible manner like I mentioned before for
> atleast two releases in branch-2: say 2.8 and 2.9 before we consider taking
> up the gauntlet on 3.0.
>  - Continue working on the classpath isolation effort and try making it as
> compatible as is possible for users to opt in and migrate easily.

+1 for 2.x, but again I don't understand the sequencing. -C