Suppose we configure maven-compiler-plugin with <source> set to 1.7 but
<target> set to 1.8 in trunk.  I believe this would have the effect of
generating JDK 8 bytecode, but enforcing that our code sticks to JDK 7
compatibility at compile time.  Does that still satisfy requirements for
HADOOP-11858?

I'd prefer to avoid executing duplicate builds for different JDK versions.
 Pre-commit already takes a long time, and I suspect doubling the amount
of builds will make us starved for executors in Jenkins.

Chris Nauroth
Hortonworks
http://hortonworks.com/