Hi all,

As some of you have noticed, we have an update from ASF infra on git branching
policy: We no longer have a ASF wide mandate on disallowing force-pushes on all
branches / tags.

Summarizing information from the INFRA email for the sake of clarity in the
midst of recent confusion
 - We now can do force pushes, and branch/tag deletion on any branch or tag
except refs/tags/rel
 - Any force pushes will be annotated in the commit-email as “[Forced Update!]”
for the community to watch out for undesired force-pushes
 - Only tags under refs/tags/rel are protected from force-push for the sake of
release-provenance: Essentially, the releases that community votes on are
archived in their entirety with the development history and we cannot alter
that once a tag is created. As one might expect.

What this means for us
 - Stale branches: There are a few stale branches that got accumulated.
    — During this branch moratorium, origin/bracnh-2.8 got created (May be as
part of HDFS-8785, can’t say for sure)
    — A couple of stale branches that helped 2.6.1 release:
origin/sjlee/hdfs-merge and origin/ajisakaa/common-merge
    — I’ll wait till EOD tomorrow for any yays/nays and delete them
 - Feature branch updates: Developers can now go rebase and force-push their
feature branches.
 - Mainline branches: Mainline branches like trunk, branch-2 have always been
configured to avoid force-pushes. In general, force-push continues to be
recommended mainly for feature branches and definitely not on any mainline
branches from which we make releases.
 - Release tags:
    — To follow ASF provenance policy, we will now push the final release tags
under refs/tags/rel. We will first push the RC tags under where they reside now
(refs/tags) and if the vote passes, the final tag will be created under
refs/tags/rel.
    — I’ll update our release wiki page
http://wiki.apache.org/hadoop/HowToRelease
<http://wiki.apache.org/hadoop/HowToRelease> with the same details once I can
get 2.7.2 release done using this updated process.
 - Existing release tags:
    — There is a general recommendation from INFRA team to take all of our
existing release tags under "tags" and copy them to “rel”.
    — I’ll wait till EOD tomorrow for any yays/nays and copy existing releases
under refs/tags/rel following general recommendations.

Any comments / thoughts / questions welcome.

Thanks
+Vinod