I'd forgotten about that JIRA (and I'd even commented on it), thanks Akira.
I have branch-2 backports ready for HADOOP-12651, which would swap CHANGES
and release notes generation over to Yetus. Then we can safely delete
CHANGES.txt and not lose any functionality.

Reviews/comments on the above welcome as always.

Best,
Andrew