Thanks all the feedbacks.

I created an issue:

Let's continue the discussion there.

Thanks,
Marton

On 09/08/2017 02:45 PM, Marton, Elek wrote:

TL;DR: I propose to create official hadoop images and upload them to the dockerhub.

GOAL/SCOPE: I would like improve the existing documentation with easy-to-use docker based recipes to start hadoop clusters with various configuration.

The images also could be used to test experimental features. For example ozone could be tested easily with these compose file and configuration:

https://gist.github.com/elek/1676a97b98f4ba561c9f51fce2ab2ea6

Or even the configuration could be included in the compose file:

https://github.com/elek/hadoop/blob/docker-2.8.0/example/docker-compose.yaml

I would like to create separated example compose files for federation, ha, metrics usage, etc. to make it easier to try out and understand the features.

CONTEXT: There is an existing Jira https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/HADOOP-13397 But it’s about a tool to generate production quality docker images (multiple types, in a flexible way). If no objections, I will create a separated issue to create simplified docker images for rapid prototyping and investigating new features. And register the branch to the dockerhub to create the images automatically.

MY BACKGROUND: I am working with docker based hadoop/spark clusters quite a while and run them succesfully in different environments (kubernetes, docker-swarm, nomad-based scheduling, etc.) My work is available from here: https://github.com/flokkr but they could handle more complex use cases (eg. instrumenting java processes with btrace, or read/reload configuration from consul). And IMHO in the official hadoop documentation it’s better to suggest to use official apache docker images and not external ones (which could be changed).

Please let me know if you have any comments.

Marton