On Wed, 6 May 2020 at 23:32, Eric Yang <eric...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi all,
>

> 4.  Passing different form of tokens does not work well with cloud provider
> security mechanism.  For example, passing AWS sts token for S3 bucket.
> There is no renewal mechanism, nor good way to identify when the token
> would expire.

well, HADOOP-14556 does it fairly well, supporting session and role tokens.
We even know when they expire because we ask for a duration when we request
the session/role creds.
See org.apache.hadoop.fs.s3a.auth.delegation.AbstractS3ATokenIdentifier for
the core of what we marshall, including encryption secrets.

The main issue there is that Yarn can't refresh those tokens because a new
triple of session credentials are required; currently token renewal assumes
the token is unchanged and a request is made to the service to update their
table of issued tokens. But even if the RM could get back a new token from
a refresh call, we are left with the problem of "how to get an updated set
of creds to each process"