Hi,

I'm not a Hadoop expert but I've had some experiences in the cloud
infrastructure that I think also makes sense in your case.
For 2.x client + 3.x Server case, the Server side can obviously provide
compatibility, so it should work fine. But in the opposite case,
it might have problem, because 2.x server may not understand new client
calls added in 3.x, for old calls, it should work fine, but
if some internal implementation has changed, it might also be a problem, so
you might have to check case by case.

BR,