I'm just curious why this is included in the 3.2.2 release? HDFS-15567 is
tagged with 3.2.3 and the corresponding HDFS-14272 on server side is tagged
with 3.3.0.

> If it goes into FS/FC, what does it do for a viewfs with >1 mounted HDFS?
Should it take path, msync(path) so that viewFS knows where to forward it?

The API shouldn't take any path - for viewFS I think it should call this on
all the child file systems. It might also need to handle the case where
some downstream clusters support this capability while others don't.

1. I roll HDFS-15567 back "please be follow process"
2. Someone does a followup patch with specification and contract test, view
FS. Add even more to the java
3. We do as per HADOOP-16898 into an MSyncable interface and then
FileSystem & HDFS can implement. ViewFS and filterFS still need to pass
through.

I'm slightly in favor of the hasPathCapabilities approach and make this a
mixin where FS impls can optionally support. Happy to hear what others
think.

Chao