Thanks Eric for raising this issue!

The debate about lambda is very complicated and won't be resolved any time
soon.

 I don't personally know a lot about the
> performance of lambdas and welcome arguments on behalf of why lambdas

No one probably knows :)
- Lambda performance would depend on the JVM implementation. This changes
between
releases.
- Java8+ features forces lambda. For example,
ConcurrentHashMap.computeIfAbsent()

I believe that we can transform this discussion into specific action items
for future commits:
For instance, a couple of those specifications would be:
- No refactor just for the sake of using Lambda, unless there is a strong
technical justification.
- Usage of lambda in Unit-tests should be fine. If lambda makes the test
more readable, and
  allows passing method references, then this should make the unit-tests.
- We put sample code in the "how-to-contribute" to elaborate "capturing Vs
non-capturing"
  lambda expressions and the implications of each type on the performance.
- Without getting into much detail, IMHO, streams should be committed into
the code
  in exceptional cases. The possibility of executing code in parallel makes
debugging
  a nightmare. i.e., Usage of ForEach needs to be justified, what does it
bring to the table?

--
Best Regards,

*Ahmed Hussein, PhD*