I think we usually merge backport without explicit +1 if the conflict is
trivial,
same as done on JIRA-only workflow
(on which we attached patch like HADOOP-xxx-branch-3.3.001.patch for
precommit check then commit it without explicit +1).

If committers want review since the change is not trivial,
backporting PR might tend to be ignored without explicit request.

There seems to be no clear statement about approving backports on HowToCommit
wiki.
https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/HADOOP2/HowToCommit