Is there a reason for using OpenJDK and not Sun's JDK?

Also...  I believe there were noted issues with the .17 JDK. I will look for a
link and post if I can find.

Otherwise, the behaviour I have seen before. Hadoop is detaching from the JVM
and stops seeing it.

I think your problem lies in the JDK and not Hadoop.