From: Pierre Antoine Du Bois De Naurois [mailto:pad...@gmail.com]
Sent: Thursday, May 17, 2012 6:33 PM
To: common-user@hadoop.apache.org
Subject: Re: is hadoop suitable for us?

We have large amount of text files that we want to process and index (plus
applying other algorithms).

The problem is that our configuration is share-everything while hadoop has a
share-nothing configuration.

We have 50 VMs and not actual servers, and these share a huge central storage.
So using HDFS might not be really useful as replication will not help,
distribution of files have no meaning as all files will be again located in the
same HDD. I am afraid that I/O will be very slow with or without HDFS. So i am
wondering if it will really help us to use hadoop/hbase/pig etc. to distribute
and do several parallel tasks.. or is "better" to install something different
(which i am not sure what). We heard myHadoop is better for such kind of
configurations, have any clue about it?

For example we now have a central mySQL to check if we have already processed a
document and keeping there several metadata. Soon we will have to distribute it
as there is not enough space in one VM, But Hadoop/HBase will be useful? we
don't want to do any complex join/sort of the data, we just want to do queries
to check if already processed a document, and if not to add it with several of
it's metadata.

We heard sungrid for example is another way to go but it's commercial. We are
somewhat lost.. so any help/ideas/suggestions are appreciated.

Best,
PA

2012/5/17 Abhishek Pratap Singh <manu.i...@gmail.com>

> Hi,
>
> For your question if HADOOP can be used without HDFS, the answer is Yes.
> Hadoop can be used with any kind of distributed file system.
> But I m not able to understand the problem statement clearly to advice
> my point of view.
> Are you processing text file and saving in distributed database??
>
> Regards,
> Abhishek
>
> On Thu, May 17, 2012 at 1:46 PM, Pierre Antoine Du Bois De Naurois <
> pad...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > We want to distribute processing of text files.. processing of large
> > machine learning tasks, have a distributed database as we have big
> > amount of data etc.
> >
> > The problem is that each VM can have up to 2TB of data (limitation
> > of
> VM),
> > and we have 20TB of data. So we have to distribute the processing,
> > the database etc. But all those data will be in a shared huge
> > central file system.
> >
> > We heard about myHadoop, but we are not sure why is that any
> > different
> from
> > Hadoop.
> >
> > If we run hadoop/mapreduce without using HDFS? is that an option?
> >
> > best,
> > PA
> >

> > 2012/5/17 Mathias Herberts <mathias.herbe...@gmail.com>
> >
> > > Hadoop does not perform well with shared storage and vms.
> > >
> > > The question should be asked first regarding what you're trying to
> > achieve,
> > > not about your infra.

> them.
> > > "virtual"
> > such
> > retrieve

DISCLAIMER
This e-mail may contain privileged and confidential information which is the
property of Persistent Systems Ltd. It is intended only for the use of the
individual or entity to which it is addressed. If you are not the intended
recipient, you are not authorized to read, retain, copy, print, distribute or
use this message. If you have received this communication in error, please
notify the sender and delete all copies of this message. Persistent Systems