So a while back their was an article:
http://highscalability.com/how-rackspace-now-uses-mapreduce-and-hadoop-query-terabytes-data

I recently did my own take on full text searching your logs with
solandra, though I have prototyped using solr inside datastax
enterprise as well.

http://www.edwardcapriolo.com/roller/edwardcapriolo/entry/more_taco_bell_programming_with

Splunk has a graphical front end with a good deal of sophistication,
but I am quite happy just being able to solr search everything, and
providing my own front ends built in solr.