Raj's almost right. In times of high load or space fillup on a local
DN, the NameNode may decide to instead pick a non-local DN for
replica-writing. In this way, the Node A may get a "copy 0" of a
replica from a task. This is per the default block placement policy.

P.s. Note that HDFS hardly makes any differences between replicas,
hence there is no hard-concept of a "copy 0" or "copy 1" block, at the
NN level, it treats all DNs in pipeline equally and same for replicas.