Yup , we figured it out eventually.
The artifacts now use the test-jar directive which creates a jar file that you
can reference in mvn using the <type> tag in your dependencies.

However, fyi, I haven't been able to successfully google for the quintessential
classes in the hadoop test libs like the fs BaseContractTest by name, so they
are now harder to find then before....

So i think it's unfortunate that they are not a top level maven artifact.

It's misleading, as It's now very easy to assume from looking at hadoop in mvn
central that hadoop-test is just an old library that nobody updates anymore.

Just a thought but Maybe hadoop-test could be rejuvenated to point to the
hadoop-commons some how?