On Fri, 22 Feb 2002, Glenn Nielsen wrote:
> I have been using Tomcat 4.1-dev and its new DBCP DataSource Factory
> which uses commons-dbcp, which then uses other commons components
> like commons-pool.
>
> Everything works fine, then all of a sudden GenericPool can no longer
> get a db connection from the pool.  All attempts to get a connection
> from the pool fail.  The only way to fix the problem is to stop and
> restart Tomcat.  In case you ask, the db is running fine, and an
> application which uses Torque to manage db connections continues
> to work.  Only the commons-dbcp exhibits the failure.
>
> This has happen twice in the last 24 hours, both times were about 10 - 12
> hours after Tomcat started up.  The first run was during the day with higher
> traffic, the second was overnight with lower traffic.  During each run the
> DBCP has handled many thousands of connection requests.
>
> Here is a snippet from the exception:
>
> 2002-02-22 08:47:53 StandardWrapperValve[jsp]: Servlet.service() for servlet jsp
>threw
> exception
> java.util.NoSuchElementException: Timeout waiting for idle object
>         at org.apache.commons.pool.impl.GenericObjectPool.borrowObject(Unknown
>Source)
>         at org.apache.commons.dbcp.PoolingDataSource.getConnection(Unknown Source)
>         at
> org.apache.taglibs.dbtags.connection.ConnectionTag.doEndTag(ConnectionTag.java:214)
>         at org.apache.jsp.pastnumsearch$jsp._jspService(pastnumsearch$jsp.java:116)

Without knowing any details about the pool component (yet -- I plan on
giving it a good look eventually), I suspect that you may have a pool
leak.  Somewhere you're borrowing from the pool and not returning it to
the pool.  Possibly the return of an object is not in a finally block and
an rare exception causes it to lose one object.

Then again, I haven't looked at the pool component, so I don't know
whether this would be tye symptom for that problem or not.  Take what I
say with a grain of salt.  Although it might be a good place to start
looking.

regards,
michael