On 3/6/02 2:53 PM, "John McNally" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> The code in sandbox/jdbc2pool uses the commons pool and DBCP's
> PreparedStatement pool while attempting to implement the jdbc2
> specification.  Geir and anyone else at jakarta who wants to work on a
> connection pool, why not join me in finishing this?  Geir, why are you
> saying you want to work on Poolman, what does it have that dbcp does
> not?

I am saying that I think Poolman is worth saving.  I rely on it in several
client projects, and I am sure there are many users of Poolman here, despite
the existence of the dbcp.

This is not a reflection on DBCP, but rather acting on the knowledge that
Poolman has a huge user base and a long track record of reliability.

So far, the only feedback about this idea has been negative, so at the
moment, I am pretty convinced it isn't going to happen.  That doesn't mean I
won't try elsewhere :)

> Yes jakarta developers should be able to work on what they want to work
> on, but the founding projects of the commons was the pool and dbcp.

Yep - certainly was my motivation.

> Yes
> it is possible to have multiple implementations of these.

Yep.

[SNIP]
> Isn't the point of the
> commons to not have multiple implementations of the same concept?

Not necessarily...

> "Geir Magnusson Jr." wrote:
>>
>> On 3/6/02 6:32 AM, "Ted Husted" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>>
>>> The only point to anything at Jakarta is that the volunteers will work
>>> on what they ~want~ to work on. If there are volunteers here who want to
>>> work on the dbcp, then we will continue to have a dbcp. If there are
>>> volunteers here who want to bring Poolman here, then they could do that
>>> too.
>>>
>>> My only point is that the opportunity now exists; it's just a matter of
>>> whether anyone interested in working on connection pools is interested
>>> in pursuing the Poolman codebase.
>>
>> I've talked to Sean every now and then about bringing Poolman here to
>> Jakarta, and I have another query on this in to him now.
>>
>> I'm going to try and do it.
>>
>> geir
>>
>> --
>> Geir Magnusson Jr.                                     [EMAIL PROTECTED]
>> System and Software Consulting
>> The bytecodes are language independent. - Sam Ruby
>>
>> --

Geir Magnusson Jr.                                     [EMAIL PROTECTED]
System and Software Consulting
POC lives!