Hi,
 I think you need to enable "ping" in configuration.
But you can solve this in postgres :
1. use BYTEA type for bynary strings.
2. check the last driver version, I am not sure it is fixed in the last
versoin, but it
is no problems to fix it, driver is open source. Current "STABLE" version
has this bug.
Escape table you can find in user's guide.