1.2.2 it is then :-)

I agree with maintaining 1.2.2 compatibility, it
is a bit harsh to require 1.4 to perform base64 encoding.
Unfortunately it would make life a lot easier with regards
to charset encoding ...

It should be possible to use OutputStreamWriter and
InputStreamReader internally to perform the conversions
without incurring much of a performance overhead.
For example a CharByteEngine??? could use OutputStreamWriter
internally to perform charset encoding.

In many cases OutputStreamWriter and InputStreamReader
can be used directly, it is the cases where byte to char
conversion is required during output streaming that require
an encoder for transforming between chars and bytes.
Perhaps I'm missing something here though ...

I also think it would be useful to be able to perform
charset conversion without depending on streams.