On Thu, 13 Nov 2003, Noel J. Bergman wrote:

> > > there is precedent, albeit comatose, in the sandbox 'filters'
> > > and 'servlet' components.
>
> > Yet another set of components that are not on the Jakarta Commons
> > web page (http://jakarta.apache.org/commons/).  Did it never occur
> > to anyone that projects might be comotose because no one knows
> > about them?  I, for one, have code that could have gone in there,
> > but I didn't know it existed.
>
> Can we agree on how to handle these projects?  Every project in the CVS
> ought to have a web presence.  If there isn't anyting particularly useful
> (no one created web content), then we should at least list it with a URL to
> its CVS presence.  I think we discussed this before, but no one effected a
> change.

IMHO, the best way to handle this is to have ONE mechanism to build ONE
web site for ONE Jakarta project - i.e. Jakarta Commons. Right now, each
component is responsible for putting up its own web presence, and many
folks who drop things into the sandbox do not bother doing that - or even
providing any documentation at all to indicate what it is / does.

If we could decide on one mechanism for generating web content (Maven
would be my choice because it does so much for so little work), and have a
mechanism that would create a unified Commons web site, that would be
great. As you suggest, any component that doesn't have any web content
could still have at least a link to CVS. (Or perhaps there's a way to
generate a minimal Maven site even in these cases?)

The autonomy given to Commons components is nice in some ways, but in
other ways I think it hurts us, and the "outside" perception of us. I
think it would behoove us to improve our behaviour as a single entity,
rather than simply an accretion of handy bits and pieces.

--
Martin Cooper