Here's the JIRA report for the new stateful decoder interfaces that
I've attached to this issue:

http://nagoya.apache.org/jira/secure/ViewIssue.jspa?key=DIR-30

Take a look at the attached interface javaadocs and let me know what
you guys think.

BTW when looking at the interfaces notice that the JDK1.4 dependency
is no longer there since the decode method takes an Object rather than
a ByteBuffer.