On 2005-01-27 22:52:02, Richard Sitze wrote:

Richard,

Sorry for not responding earlier. I'be got a question regarding item C.

> C.  Host / Sub
>
>   - commons-logging.jar#org.apache.commons.logging.Log is
>     loaded/loadable by Host.
>
>   - A host, such as JUnit, creates and manages an independent Sub
>     ClassLoader
>
>   - Sub does NOT reference Host as a parent.

How is that possible? As far as I know, a child class loader will
(by default) inherit the system class loader as a parent, in this case
'Host'.

As the set up you describe seems impossible to me, I can't make sense
of the rest of your conclusions for item 'C'. What am I missing?

>   - Sub is set as the thread context ClassLoader.
>
>   - Execution is within code belonging to Host.
>
>   Problems:
>
>   1. The discovery process may *fail* altogether as it starts with the
>      thread context class loader, and cannot reach the Host loader.
>
>   2. The discovery process allows a Log implementation defined by the
>      Sub to be discovered by the Host, as the host executes
>      Host[LogFactory], via the thread context class loader.
>      Consider the case where the *Sub* defines
>      commons-logging.properties
>      or META-INF/Services/org.apache.commons.logging.Log.

-- Ceki Gülcü