Martin Cooper wrote:
Let's suppose for a minute that all Commons components stored their
dependencies in SVN. And let's also suppose that they all required
Commons Logging. We would have almost 90 copies of Commons Logging
taking up space in the SVN repository. Even if only half of them use
Commons Logging, that's still 45 copies. What's more, someone who
checks out all of Commons is going to get all those copies of all
those components taking up all their disk space, when all they really
need is one copy of each.

I don't know about you, but that seems like a really bad idea to me,
and it's not going to make people happy when they discover they lost
half their disk to dozens of copies of the same thing.

--
Martin Cooper

Martin,

I agree that having several copies of the supposed same library can be painful for someone who loves order, piece and happiness. Personally I don't have a problem with those copies as they are all managed by someone else and I don't need to worry about them. Space is not an issue. Java code is small (Commons Logging is 31KB) and hard drives are cheap. What you are talking about is just a matter of taste.

Ortwin Glück