Torsten Curdt <tcurdt <at> apache.org> writes:

> >> 1. Keep the ProblemHandler across compilations (and add a
> >> lifecycle) or re-create the object
> >
> > Hmm, this also depends :) For the error counter there is no problem
> > to create one on every compilation cycle.
>
> You mean create counter object??

Yes.

> > But for the external ones passed as parameter
> > you might want to use always the same.
>
> Which is why you need to reset it ....which means a lifecycle.

Yes, I didn't speak against lifecycle. Only against *one* lifecycle in the
interface. And handling different lifecycles in the interface gets difficult or
confusing IMO.

> Somehow I got the feeling we are a bit running round in circles here.

So let's break the circles. From what I see we see the same requirements but
only draw different conclusions.

> >> 2. Is there really a usecase where you don't need the compilation
> >> result in a ProblemHandler?
> >
> > I don't know if I understand the question correctly, but a
> > ProblemHandler not handling problems makes no sense.
>
> It does handle the problem ...but a name like ProblemConsumer would probably
> make more sense.

Yes, ok, but this has no implication on the deliberation.

> YOU ALWAYS NEED THE COMPILATION RESULT
>
> ...and that's my point.

Yes, otherwise you would not need a handler/consumer.
Sorry for exasperating you :)

Joerg