On 12/3/05, Phil Steitz <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> On 12/2/05, Martin Cooper <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> <snip>
> > >
> > > In the "old days" we kept lf line endings on all the source files in
> > > cvs and hand-rolled ant scripts were used to put crlf on the .txt
> > > files in the zips.  Between maven and svn's eol=native, that is no
> > > longer possible or at least immediate.  The real question (see other
> > > response) is do we care about this?  From lack of response to [poll]
> > > thread, could be the answer is no.
> >

> > This is an interesting comment, and indicates that we haven't done
> things
> > consistently across Commons components (which isn't altogether
> surprising).
> > All along - including in the old days of CVS - I've worked with CR-LF
> line
> > ends, and that includes quite a few releases of several different
> > components. So with the change to SVN, I haven't been doing anything
> > differently...
>
> See other thread.  In the CVS days,  commit diffs would flag CRLFs
> creeping into sources, so we did not need to worry about this.
> Windows editors would only hose files if set up incorrectly, so we
> were probably fairly consistent in what we released.  Now, the svn
> client is "hosing" these files silently when you check them out on
> Windows (at least, IMHO), so by "doing nothing special" Windows
> developers are introducing inconsistency.

Also, see other thread. ;-) We seem to have had totally different CVS
experiences. I did *all* my CVS work with CR-LF line ends, and I still have
locally checked out CVS trees to prove it. Nothing - *nothing* - has changed
with the move to SVN. This whole thing is a non-issue to me.

--
Martin Cooper