On Tue, 2006-05-23 at 15:58 -0700, Martin Cooper wrote:
> On 5/23/06, robert burrell donkin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >
> > Jochen Wiedmann ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) is a pmc'er over in web services
> > land. Jochen would like commons karma
> > (http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/jakarta-general/200605.mbox/%
> > [EMAIL PROTECTED]) to help work on file-upload.
>

> Since when did we start inviting people into Jakarta based on their first
> (AFAIK) proposed - and not yet accepted - patch? Has anyone looked at the
> patch? I haven't seen any discussion on it, and I know that I'm not going to
> have time to look at it until the weekend, long after this vote will have
> closed, apparently.

sorry - i didn't intend to cause any offence. IMO fileupload isn't
inactive. perhaps i didn't make it clear enough that my intention for a
vote for jakarta karma only.

i probably made a misjudgement in calling for a 48 hour vote only. it
sets a bad precedent.

> This is nothing personal against Jochen - I don't know him at all - and is
> not related to the fact that his contribution is for FileUpload. I'm just
> very concerned at how low we're setting the bar these days.

i admit that i do have a lower bar for existing apache committers (in
general) and for committers i know and trust (in particular). my
personal matrix involves an estimate of how much energy i'll need to
spare to effectively mentor them.

IMHO it's a hard judgement call. i've been too conservative in proposing
committers in the past. hopefully people will continue to jump in and
correct me if i start going too far the other way...

> I, for one, do not subscribe to the "Some of the guys over in project X think
> Fred is OK,
> so he must be OK" modus operandum.

i'm the guy you're talking about :-)

jochen's ok by me. i've worked with him for a number of years. i trust
him enough to propose him as a jakarta committer.

but i'm glad you raised this as a more general issue and i'd like to
hear you expand your opinions...

> Are we really saying that we'll allow
> other projects to decide on who merits commit access to Jakarta? That's what
> Hen appears to be saying, and I object strongly.

personally speaking, i would be very happy for a low bar
for existing apache committers. jakarta karma can be obtained on request
in any case (in order to work on sandbox components).

but i don't see that being the same thing at all as allowing
unrestricted access to work on existing components. i hope that social
pressures would be enough (as they have proved to be in the past).

- robert