On 10/23/06, James Carman <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
Tomcat has been able to do this without any real problems.
<snip/>

Because now (TC6, some in 5.5, maybe other branches too) they've
package renamed dependency artifacts (digester, logging, dbcp -- and
even hinted at JDT ;-).

-Rahul

 Why can't we
just keep the Commons Collections name (and packages, etc.), but just use
the version numbers to keep it straight?  Tomcat 5.5.x requires JDK5.
Couldn't we just say that Commons Collections 4.x (and beyond) requires
JDK5?  That way, for those folks who want to upgrade, it's not very tough.
For the most part, the classes/methods will have the same names.

On 10/23/06, Jörg Schaible <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Hi Stephen and Henri,
>
> Stephen Colebourne wrote on Saturday, October 21, 2006 5:20 PM:
>
> > Henri Yandell wrote:
> >> Why not just start a branch within Collections?
> >>
> >> I don't see why this is a new component, are we going to be advising
> >> people to use Collections 3.x on JDK 1.5+ for any reasons other than
> >> legacy or instability of our generified version?
> >>
> >> My view is to make a collections-generics branch in collections with
> >> a view to it being Collections 4.0.
> >
> > Because commons isn't like other OSS projects. We can't go around
> > changing our APIs freely, even between major versions. Its a
> > simple case
> > of us being at the bottom of the stack of jars. If we do
> > change an API,
> > any API then jar hell ensues because higher OSS projects will
> > clash on
> > their required versions of [collections].
> >
> > Thus, it has to be a new package, and this is best thought of
> > as a new
> > component.
>
> It is also about branding. Collections is a well-known name in the
> community. Think of three years from now. If we declare collections 4.xneeds
JDK