On 11/24/06, Wendy Smoak <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

On 11/24/06, Craig McClanahan <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Does that mean that you will be able to use
> commons-digester:commons-digester:1.8 *or*
> org.apache.commons:commons-digester:1.8 after Digester 1.8 is released?
>
> For a specific example, consider an app that uses, say, Shale and
MyFaces
> 1.1.4.  Even if we update the Shale dependency to the new groupId, an
> application will still inherit a transitive dependency on the old
version
> until a new MyFaces release with an updated dependency.

You relocate the existing releases that are already in the repository.
Then Maven is able to figure out that
commons-digester:commons-digester:1.7 is really
org.apache.commons:commons-digester:1.7, and is "the same" artifact as
org.apache.commons:commons-digester:1.8.  That will stop it from
including both.

The whole of Commons doesn't have to switch at once.  The trick is to
relocate _all_ of the old artifacts for any given component, then
start releasing that component under the new groupId.

Maven will then print warnings that "this artifact has been
relocated..." which will prompt people to switch over.

If we can get the relocation to work as Wendy described, then I'm +1 on
doing the groupId migration piecemeal, as Commons packages get released.
This addresses my concern.

--
Wendy

Craig