Henri Yandell wrote:
On 2/10/07, Jörg Schaible <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
Niall Pemberton wrote:

> On 2/10/07, Jörg Schaible <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>> Hi Niall,
>>
>> Niall Pemberton wrote:
>>
>> > I tried running the RAT[1] tool over the RC but invalid characters in >> > conf/testEncoding.xml caused RAT to fail[2] :-( Removing that file it
>> > higlighted a licensing issue - MockStaticMemoryInitialContextFactory
>> > has a "Copyright The Spice Group" and indicates that a copy of its
>> > license should be in LICENSE.txt - I checked LICENSE.txt and it didn't
>> > have one (just the ASF license).
>>
>> yes and no. The code is in use for unit tests but does not belong to the >> core distribution i.e. users of commons-configuration do not inherit this >> code and do therefore have to add only the ASF license. How did we handle
>> such cases earlier?
>
> Since its in the source distro then IMO we need to comply with their
> license as we are re-distributing their code. In their code it says
> the license should be included in the LICENSE file:
>
>    http://spice.codehaus.org/jndikit/license.html
>
> So it looks to me like you need to add it into LICENSE.txt and put a
> line in NOTICE.txt saying something like the following:
>     This product includes software developed by
>     The Spice Group (http://spice.codehaus.org/).

This might be case for the source distro, but not for the binary one ...
which makes this tricky. Maybe it should be added with the additional
comment, that this only applies with the test code of c-c.

+1. It should a) say it's only for testing, and b) that it only
applies to code distributed in the source distribution. I don't think
it'll be the end of the world for the binary license file to have a
section that doesn't apply to the binary.

Hen

I think I have found a clean solution for this problem: I was able to replace the class in question by a mock implementation based on mockobjects, which we depend on anyway. So the dependency to spice-jndikit can be completely removed.

Oliver