On 16/03/07, Torsten Curdt <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

On 16.03.2007, at 05:28, Henri Yandell wrote:

> On 3/15/07, Torsten Curdt <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
>> IMO we should do a cli 1.0.1 bug release and get then get 2.0 out of
>> the door ASAP.
>
> Someone needs to have the energy (and comprehension) to push them out.
>
> I get the CLI 1.x code and can do a 1.1 or 1.0.1 release; no one
> really seemed to be demanding it.

I am :) ...this has been bugging a couple of times already. And I even
dug into the code. So I would be happy to help with that too. But my
main focus for now is to get jci out of the door ...and I don't want
to wait for a cli release for that.

> When I started looking into CLI 2.x
> I found myself in the minority position of thinking it was worse than
> CLI 1.x so I quietly backed away from it.

Really? Care to elaborate?

>> What's the story with the branches again? I lost track.
>
> cli/ itself is cli2.
> cli-1.x/ is the active cli1 branch.
> cli-avalon/ or something like that.. that's what I called it on trunk/
> is the avalon code that someone uses and loves (I forget who).

We use it in JMeter, but we have our own copy in SVN.

I copied the source to JMeter from Avalon, as there were some bugs we
needed fixing for JMeter.

Having fixed the bugs, it seemed to work fine for JMeter, so I thought
it might be useful for others, and so it was provided as a patch for
Commons CLI.

Since JMeter has its own copy, it does not matter to us whether the
CLI copy is ever released, but it seems a shame as it is working well
for us.

I had a look recently at SVN with a view to making a release of just
the Avalon CLI but I got bogged down. There seemed to be a lot of
stuff that was not related to Avalon CLI, and I don't know Maven.

Note that the Avalon API is rather different from the CLI1/CLI2 APIs.

Will have a look into that ...at some stage.

> All three need stake in the ground releases so N years of bugfixing
> can be stabilized.

Sure