Oleg,

I'm glad you sent along the file! It's funny - other than that one file, I'd say you exactly duplicated the environment I'm using. That one file is key, though.

It would appear that your version of server.xml trumps the default "connector" choice. The default server.xml reads:

              enableLookups="true" redirectPort="8443"
              useURIValidationHack="false" disableUploadTimeout="true" />

and yours reads:

              enableLookups="true" redirectPort="8443"
              acceptCount="10" debug="0" connectionTimeout="60000"/>

As far as the docs on the Tomcat site go, this:
http://jakarta.apache.org/tomcat/tomcat-4.1-doc/config/connectors.html
indicates that the "HttpConnector" is "deprecated", and the "CoyoteConnector" is the one to use.

I replaced the "Connector" entry in your server.xml (which worked for me, and generated no test failures, by the way), with the one from the Tomcat original, and reproduced the problem.

By the way, when I last looked at the older connector, you most definitely didn't want to use it with Tomcat 4.1.18. It turns out that any GET request that didn't include a "Content-Length" line would be closed by the connector, rather than assuming that the GET request had no content and reuse the connection persistently. I got really horrible behavior where each request from my web browser meant a new connection to the server. So much for HTTP 1.1. The newer CoyoteConnector doesn't show this behavior.

Of course, this brings us full circle to the original problem - which one is right?

-Eric.

Oleg Kalnichevski wrote:

Eric,
I just installed Tomcat 4.1.29 on my home PC running Redhat 9 and Sun
JDK 1.4.2. I can't reproduce the problem. All tests pass. The only thing
I did differently was tweaking tomcat's server.xml (attached below) to
disable stuff that I do not need. I's unlikely that it should have any
bearing on the problem, but who knows.

Oleg