The initial "connection" to the proxy server is actually done over an unencrypted channel.

Subsequent communications are encrypted only after the connection to the proxy has been established.

This isn't a "restriction", rather I believe it follows the proxy specification.

-Eric.

John Melody wrote:

Hi,

I have just been trying to get my httpclient to accept a self signed certificate on a secure, proxied connection. I followed the SSL guide directions but it did not seem to be picking up my new factory.

When I checked in the source code I noticed the following code.

HttpConnection.java ....
// use the protocol's socket factory unless this is a secure
// proxied connection
final ProtocolSocketFactory socketFactory =
(isSecure() && isProxied()
? new DefaultProtocolSocketFactory()
: protocolInUse.getSocketFactory());

Why is this restiction in place?

regards, John.

John Melody SyberNet Ltd. Galway Business Park, Dangan, Galway. Tel. No. +353 91 514400 Fax. NO. +353 91 514409 Mobile - 087-2345847