Hey Roland,

Unfortunately this has nothing to do with the URL Scheme in use (HTTP here). But only with the authentication scheme used for the specific URL and the software that interpretes the userinfo part of the URL. If the server requires NTLM for instance, userinfo could contain a NT domain attribute as well. Until now I have never encountered anything else than the username:password format, however. Also to my knowledge, there is no RFC for a HTTP URL specification where those formats for userinfo were defined. The username:password format merley seems to be an established quasi-standard that has been adopted by many software products. That means we can basically do what we think is right :-)

Odi

Roland Weber wrote:

Hi Odi,

since the class is named HttpURL (or HttpsURL), I don't
think we need to bother about non-HTTP URL schemes :-)

Anyway, I like your version with separate constructors
for escaped and non-escaped authentication data. It
gives maximum flexibility.

cheers,
  Roland

 software engineer