Dale,
Do you know if the client authentication has been configured as required
or optional? Does the server reject the connection when attempt is made
to authenticate with an invalid certificate? The fact that IE pops up
the certificate dialog does not not actually mean that the server
validates the certificate or requests a client certificate at all. I
tend to trust more the SSL log showing that the server did not request a
client certificate.

I retested the AuthSSLProtocolSocketFactory against Apache 2.0.51 with
mod_ssl one more time and everything appeared to be OK.

Oleg