Because I'm a whore for all things gadget... I made a gadget for this. My Preferences > Gadgets > Categories > Tag
Note: It Magnus's code doesn't check where you are, so you can tag any page (not just images). -Jon PS - I think this is very cool. On Mon, Mar 1, 2010 at 14:28, Magnus Manske <[email protected]>wrote: > Now that I have your attention :-) > > I've cooked up a simple tagging system for Commons. It uses the > category system by prefixing tag "categories" with TAG, e.g. > [[Category:TAG:Flower]]. TAG categories will be "flat", so > intersections are easy. Merging of equivalent tags could later be > possible through redirects, without having to bot-edit all affected > pages. Also, redirects and/or language links could allow for > multilingual tags, or at least multilingual tag search/intersection. > > For the frontend, I put the tag section into the sidebar, which will > make it instantly familiar to many web users. On page load, the TAG > categories are removed from the normal category section and shown as > tags in the sidebar. This also means no additional web traffic will > arise for normal page viewing. > > Tags can be removed with a single click. One or multiple tags can be > added or removed in a single operation. All editing is done via API, > so the page does not have to reload. > > When checking one or more tags, a section containing a link to > "subset" will show. Currently, it links to my CatScan rewrite, showing > all pages in the current namespace that also have all the checked > tags. Linking to CatScan gives you the opportunity to add further > conditions; you can do a combined subset of TAG and "normal" > categories, templates, etc. > > Of course, there could also be a dialog window or fake special page > showing e.g. images in the subset, using CatScan only as a backend. I' > holding back on that one... > > The script is making extensive use of jQuery, so this script will only > work when jQuery is loaded. This is currently only the case for the > Vector skin, AFAIK. So, don't complain if it doesn't work for you in > Monobook ;-) > > I have tagged the total of one example page so far (picture by me, so > noone else unduly harmed:-) Here you go: > > > > http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Vernomia_altissima_%28Compositae%29_flower.JPG?withJS=MediaWiki:Tag.js > > > Before the traditional (f)lamewar begins, let me say that I want to > "enforce" neither the TAG category system, the JavaScript sidebar > thing, or CatScan. I just want to present a working tagging system > within the current software framework, as is. I hope that, now that > there is at least demo code, something more useful than the usual "but > it also needs to make coffee!" discussion will arise. > > Cheers, > Magnus > > P.S.: Yes, there are probably a million bugs in the code... > > _______________________________________________ > Commons-l mailing list > [email protected] > https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/commons-l > -- Jon [[User:ShakataGaNai]] / KJ6FNQ http://photo.snowulf.com/ - Buy a pic, feed a photog. http://snowulf.com/
_______________________________________________ Commons-l mailing list [email protected] https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/commons-l
