On 22 March 2010 21:01, Sage Ross
<[email protected]<ragesoss%[email protected]>
> wrote:

> On Mon, Mar 22, 2010 at 11:04 AM, Paul Houle <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> >    What would you say if I uploaded a bunch of pictures of my son to
> > Wikipedia Commons?  Would they be deleted?  For me there's a lot of
> > value of Flickr being a space I can upload photographs that I choose,
> > rather than needing to wonder if "it likely to be useful to a Wikimedia
> > Foundation <http://wikimediafoundation.org/wiki/> project?"  I'd rather
> > give my $25 a year to Flickr than face the prospect of arguing about the
> > inclusion of my photos.
> >
>
> I'm not disagreeing; that's why I pay for Flickr.  I don't think
> Commons can or should try to do *everything* Flickr does, but within
> the scope of Commons, there's still room to add a lot of the fun
> aspects of Flickr.
>
>
I must agree with Sage that whilst Wikimedia Commons and Flickr are similar
they are not the same animal. We could certainly learn from them and
incorporate many of their tools/features but it's not a zero-sum-game
between the two projects.

However, I do see much greater competition between Wikimedia Commons and
Flickr *Commons* - Flickr's project for the GLAM sector. For those
interested, I wrote a blogpost in January about why Wikimedia Commons was a
good thing for GLAMs (arguments you'd all be familiar with) and in response
the Sydney Powerhouse Museum wrote this detailed and enlightening reply in
defense of Flickr Commons:
http://www.powerhousemuseum.com/dmsblog/index.php/2010/01/25/why-flickr-commons-and-why-wikimedia-commons-is-very-different/

For summary, the key reasons listed in that post were:

*1. Context matters a lot.*

*2. User experience and community*

*3. Managing that community*

*4. A sense of content control*

*5. Statistics*

*Now, whilst we can't do a whole lot about number 4, we can improve a lot on
numbers 2 and 5, for example.
*

*-Liam [[witty lama]]
*


wittylama.com/blog
Peace, love & metadata

>
>
> -Sage
>
> _______________________________________________
> Commons-l mailing list
> [email protected]
> https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/commons-l
>
_______________________________________________
Commons-l mailing list
[email protected]
https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/commons-l

Reply via email to