Hi Craig

Euh, can I say here that I'm honored to have you answering one of my
questions. I'm following with great interest all your work on both Tomcat,
Struts and particulary on the standardization efforts for the Java Server
Faces.

Yes, its been quite clear in all the documentation that the configuration of
the underlying log engine encapsultated by commons-logging is up to the
programmer, using the underlying mechanism to do so. But since there is
already a dependancy between commons-logging and Jdk1.4 logging package, I'm
wondering if it would be desirable to add some pre-coded configuration
mechanism in the Jdk14Logger, something like using of a property file like
the mechanism coded in the static initializer of the SimpleLog class for
instance.

If not, like you mentionned, coding the LogManager.readConfiguration() in
the ServletContextListener do the trick. Adding a search for the property
file ( the jdk14.properties... like simplelog.properties ) and calling this
method with the found file, would it be a violation of the philosophy of
commons-logging?

Thx again.
Eric.