You are within the web application's classloader in the WAR.  The Tomcat server
will not see this jar file and the servlet container spec doesn't specify a
contract for service providers.

If you want to see what is happening look here:

http://jakarta.apache.org/tomcat/tomcat-4.1-doc/class-loader-howto.html