Thanks Craig. We will try your suggestion. As I stated, this happens only when there
are more than 1 web apps deployed on the server. We have verified that the
commons-logging classes were not deployed at the app server level when the error
occured. It seems the class loader of one web application is interfering with the
other. Suspecting a similar problem, we moved the commons-logging jar file along with
log4j to the application server's classpath. These classes are then loaded by the app
server's class loader and visible to all web apps. The problem seems to be resolved
(we are still testing). However, I am aware that the Struts Configuration manual
specifically recommends against sharing Struts components across applications by
deploying them at the app server level due to inter-webapp conflicts with static
variables and other issues. So we would prefer to get this configured and working in
the recommended way.