From: Scovetta, Michael V
Sent: Tuesday, March 29, 2005 12:10 PM
To: Jakarta Commons Users List
Subject: RE: commons logging class level logging

Trenton,

I'm working on project to do add method-level authorization to Java
(actually, it's just a simple class, but it's pretty cool)-- Anyway, at
the heart of it is a method:

Play with it a little, I believe if you have

public class Foo {
    System.out.println(getCurrentMethodName(1));
  }
}
You get "Foo.main:3"

If you have:
public class Foo {
    bar();
  }
  public static void bar() {
    System.out.println(getCurrentMethodName(2));
  }
}
You also get "Foo.main:3" (since it back-tracked 2 method calls)

It's rough, but I think this'll work for ya. I've attached the source
code for the CallerUtils project, it's not complete yet, but it's a
start.

/**
 * Underlying method to get the calling method's name.
 * @param extra number of extra callees to go back
 * @return method name, package.class.method:line
 */
public static String getCurrentMethodName(int extra) {
    try {
        PrintWriter pw = new PrintWriter(baos);
        (new Throwable()).printStackTrace(pw);
        pw.flush();
        String stackTrace = baos.toString();
        pw.close();

        StringTokenizer tok = new StringTokenizer(stackTrace, "\n");
        String l = tok.nextToken(); // 'java.lang.Throwable'
        l = tok.nextToken(); // 'at ...getCurrentMethodName'
        for (int i = 0; i < extra; i++) {
            l = tok.nextToken(); // 'at ...timestampProfiler or
others...
        }
        l = tok.nextToken(); // 'at ...<caller to getCurrentRoutine>'
        // Parse line 3
        tok = new StringTokenizer(l.trim(), " <(");
        String t = tok.nextToken(); // 'at'
        t = tok.nextToken(); // '...<caller to getCurrentRoutine>'
        String line = tok.nextToken();
        int colon = line.indexOf(":");
        if (colon != -1) {
            int paren = line.indexOf(")", colon);
            line = line.substring(colon + 1, paren);
            return t + ":" + line;
        } else {
            return t;
        }