This is an issue - SCXML doesn't compile using JDK 1.5 and I've logged
a bug for it:

http://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/SCXML-13

XPathAPI (from xalan) was shipped as part of JDK 1.4 - but looks like
sun have re-packaged it in JDK 1.5.

To build using JDK 1.5 you need to add xalan until this bug is resolved:
  http://xml.apache.org/xalan-j/

Niall