Have you tried putting it within your WEB-INF/lib directory?

On 10/20/06, Allen,Eva <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

I sent this message to the tomcat users list also because I wasn't sure
where the actual problem lies--with tomcat or with the digester.
Anyway, here's the problem:

I want to use the Jakarta commons digester xmlrules package to parse the
xml I get from a web service I access from within a service.  This means
I have to include four commons jar files within the classpath tomcat
uses commons-digester, commons-logging, commons-beanutils and
commons-collections.  I tried putting the jar files in my CLASSPATH
variable, but Tomcat builds its own classpath, so when the servlet
executed I got a java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError.  Tomcat (or the
servlet) couldn't find
org/apache/commons/digester/xmlrules/DigesterLoader.

I am using Tomcat version 4.1.24.  There is a version of the
commons-digester jar file that comes with that tomcat in server/lib.  So
I put the commons-digester.jar file in server/lib in the commons/lib
directory so that Tomcat would include the jar file in its classpath.
However, when I did that, Tomcat wouldn't even start--the error message
then was ClassNotFoundException.  The relevant part of the stack trace
is included here below.

What gives?  It looks like the version of commons-digester.jar that
comes with tomcat 4.1.24 isn't even compatible with it, but that can't
be right?  I suppose the bigger question, though, is how can I get
Jakarta digester and tomcat 4 to play nice with each other?  And how can
I find out what version of *any* jar file I have when all I have is the
name of the jar file?

2006-10-20 14:20:36.300 [ERROR ] main (digester.Digester)  - Begin event
threw exception
java.lang.ClassNotFoundException:
org.apache.catalina.core.StandardServer
        at
org.apache.catalina.loader.StandardClassLoader.loadClass(StandardClassLo
ader.java:992)
        at
org.apache.catalina.loader.StandardClassLoader.loadClass(StandardClassLo
ader.java:857)
        at
org.apache.commons.digester.ObjectCreateRule.begin(ObjectCreateRule.java
:252)
        at org.apache.commons.digester.Rule.begin(Rule.java:200)
        at
org.apache.commons.digester.Digester.startElement(Digester.java:1268)

--
Eva Allen
Consulting Software Engineer, OCLC, Inc.