On 7/2/07, Nestor Urquiza <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
Hi Rahul,

In "Action States" you do have custom actions with side effects and they result in
variables part of guard transitions that will decide the final stable state. I am talking about
SCXML used as WEB Controller of course, in other domains it could be like you just said but not in
WEB where being used as Controller, "actions" are needed and they of course are not side
effect free.

Do you agree?

<snip/>

Sure. But we're digressing, we were talking about the act of figuring
out which transitions would be followed, not actually following any
transition (or executing any custom action) at all. We were only
discussing the act of determining the first transition(s) to be
followed (the cascading effect of that transition leading to an action
state and further transitions out of that action state is out of
scope).

-Rahul

If not, could you please provide a "side effect free" implementation  of  the
following use case?

1. User is subscribing to a service using a WEB application. It is mandatory to
send a password to his cellphone to verify the user is who he says.
2. If the password is succesfully sent, the final state will be PIN_SENT.
3. If for the contrary the password cannot be sent the FSM will stay in the
current state USER_PROFILED.

We talked before about action states to solve postconditions. The introspection
mechanism would work simply fine for preconditions but not for postconditions
IMHO.

Thanks,

-Nestor