I am new to writing servlets and am using commons-fileupload-1.2

I am trying to upload a multipart/form-data from a client application (written in C#)
to the servlet.

The servlet stops at:

servletFileUpload.parseRequest(request);

returning an internal server error (500) to the client.
There are no error messages printed.
System.out.println(exception.getMessage()); doesn't seem to do anything

For testing, I made sure that the client sent the following string (example from RFC 1867):

... contents of file1.txt ...
--AaB03x--

In the servlet, I made sure that the string is received:

               int intChar;
               BufferedReader testBR = request.getReader();
               while( (intChar = testBR.read())  != -1) {
System.out.print((char)intChar); }
               testBR.close();

               // string printed are as above
// code stops here