On Thu, Jan 09, 2003 at 05:39:42PM -0500, Rich Bowen wrote:
> > (and don't ask me about the time I tried to do a hash of hashes of hashes in
> >  Perl... even with Perl hacker help, I gave up; Perl just wouldn't do it)
>
> Oh, come on. I do hashes of hashes of hashes frequently in Perl. And
> hashes of hashes of arrays of hashes of arrays. And ... well, other
> permutations.

Sure, I know it is possible, but really. At the time, it just didn't work.
Really. Not some kind of lamer-fu.

> And the syntax for a multi-dimensional array is almost
> indistinguishable from the example you gave in Python.
>
> $matrix = [
>            [1, 2, 3],
>            [4, 5, 6],
>            [7, 8, 9] ];
> print $matrix->[1][2];

Very cool. Man, I wish that woulda worked when I tried it.

> A little more punctuation, but, then, you'd expect that from Perl.
>
> You must have a very lame Perl hacker at your disposal. ;-)

This was sometime around 1996, I believe. Perl 4, if I recall. Is it
possible that it wasn't so easy in Perl 4?

And yah... if the two guys that I was getting help from didn't get it, then
I'd be surprised (I respect the guys, quite a bit)

Cheers,
-g

--
Greg Stein, http://www.lyra.org/