What I find strange in all this discussion about tools that are licensed under
LGPL is, why does it matter if you do not use the tool in the actual code of
the project.

Take for example Checkstyle, you use this tool to check that your code
conforms to a coding standard. Checkstyle does NOT:

  - modify project source code in anyway;

  - need to be imported/linked/referenced in project source code; or

  - need to be shipped in project deliverables.

So if all of this is accepted, why does it matter that Checkstyle is licensed
under LGPL? It is not being "viral".

I am worried that a "knee jerk" reaction to LGPL will prevent tools being used
on Jakarta projects. Being the original author of Checkstyle - I would see
this as a real shame.

Regards,
Oliver