Stefano,

and

> "get modern and stop the crap"

These are unrepresentative paraphrases of what I said. I don't believe that
the post actually said or implied either of these things.

I did say "I'm sure that everyone is in favour of hardening James as much as
possible. Its just that we should approach it from a Java perspective, not a
C on Unix one. The issues are different."

Why? Because the potential vulnerabilities and the optimum measures to
eliminate them are not the same for the two environments. To take an
approach that assumes that they are the same will result in a less hardend
solution. Examining the risks as they exist in James' Java environment
deployed on physical OSes such as Unix will achieve a maximally hardened
solution.

Achieving sysadm trust is not the same as achieving a maximally hardened
solution. Perhaps James could achieve a level of trust from some Unix
sysadms by making it possible to mirror the deployment environments that
they trust. Fine. But as developers we shouldn't be blind to the fact this
is a minor detour on the road to a maximally hardened solution.

I don't view this as an appeal to ignore anyone. I don't make a habit of
considering anyones views as "crap".

-- Steve