Noel,

> Personally, I agree with those who feel that the text should be available
> via e-mail, and considering the roughly 1 message per month traffic on
> announce@, it is hard to argue that it is too much volume.

Agreed, I like the jakarta newsletter a lot.
But with the obvious caveat that an ASF wide newsletter might become quite
big if people write major dissertations, I'd rather see nice concise precis
of recent activity, and links to more detail text where relevant, I'm more
likely to read it all that way.

d.

> FWIW, it is my personal expectation (based upon nothing more than web
> trends) that at some point the newsletter will adopt an XML publishing
> model, with an plain text version for e-mail, and a more visually
> appealing
> and navigable web edition.  Since I won't be working on that, it is only a
> prediction based upon newsletters I'm already receiving from elsewhere.

I suspect this is true too.

d.